Tuesday, December 02, 2014

I have Cancer

The following piece was given to me by a friend. I did not write it and, unfortunately, I do not know who did so I apologize for not being able to give credit.

I have cancer, but cancer does not have me.
Cancer is not who I am.
It is only a bend in the road- an unexpected detour on my path.
It is a lesson in the cosmic schoolroom of human existence.
So I will pause.... To rest..... and heal......
And study the lesson......
Before I move on to a life beyond cancer
I will not give in to fear.
I will not be discouraged by setbacks.
Setbacks are only opportunities to review the lesson.
I will not be ashamed of my scars
Scars are the brushstrokes in the masterpiece that is my life.
I will be thankful for the many blessings cancer has brought me into my life
People I never would have known
Love that I'd never been still or quiet enough to witness
Humility I needed
Strength I thought I'd lost
Courage that I never thought I had
I remember that I can still have fun
I will remember always that its okay to be healthy and silly.
And remember that I must endure the rain
To find joy in the rainbow
While I may have cancer
Cancer does not have me!